Federer Disapproves of the Italian Open Decision

Roger Federer has publicly judged the recent decision of the Italian Open. Namely, the tournament decided to double the prices of tickets for his matches. Federer is set to return to the Open after three years, much to the delight of his fans. He had previously decided not to participate on the clay court at all. However, he is now returning to compete on this surface. This will be a good start for him, as tennis players are preparing for the upcoming French Open.

What’s more, the tennis legend verified the rumors on Sunday. He is yet to win this particular tournament, even though he got to four finals in the past. After he had made his announcement to the fans, the officials at the Italian Open stated that they would increase ticket prices for his very first match.

The Italian Open Statement

In a released statement, they said that their intention was to award those loyal fans who had obtained the tickets before Federer decided to play. When asked about this decision on Tuesday, he stated that he found it disappointing. He did not understand their explanation and deemed it peculiar. Nevertheless, he reiterated how excited he was to compete after three years.

Furthermore, his last appearance was in 2016. He got as far as the third round, where he could not prevail over Dominic Thiem. This player beat him in straight sets. And this was not their only encounter. Federer lost to Thiem just last week during the Madrid Open when they met in the quarter-finals.

In the end, Novak Djokovic defeated the Austrian and claimed the title. Federer made the announcement on social media and said that, after much deliberation with his team, he was thrilled to declare his comeback. He admitted that too much time had passed and that he could not wait to see his adoring fans there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *